Job Ref: 77476
Department: MHP LEGAL
Location: 50 Water Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10004
Job Type: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Hire In Rate: $155,000.00
Salary Range: $155,000.00 - $175,000.00
Empower. Unite. Care.
MetroPlusHealth is committed to empowering New Yorkers by uniting communities through care. We believe that Health care is a right, not a privilege. If you have compassion and a collaborative spirit, work with us. You can come to work being proud of what you do every day.
About NYC Health + Hospitals
MetroPlusHealth provides the highest quality healthcare services to residents of Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island through a comprehensive list of products, including, but not limited to, New York State Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare, Child Health Plus, Exchange, Partnership in Care, MetroPlus Gold, Essential Plan, etc. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of NYC Health + Hospitals, the largest public health system in the United States, MetroPlusHealth's network includes over 27,000 primary care providers, specialists and participating clinics. For more than 30 years, MetroPlusHealth has been committed to building strong relationships with its members and providers to enable New Yorkers to live their healthiest life.
Under the oversight of the Deputy General Counsel, the Associate Counsel is responsible for providing guidance to all legal matters. Primary responsibilities will include reviewing and negotiating contracts (e.g. provider and vendor contracts), researching complex legal questions, representing MetroPlus in dispute resolutions, and acting as litigation liaison for the Plan with the NYC Law Department and other outside counsel.
- Review proposals and contracts, provide guidance, and conduct contractual negotiations.
- Conduct legal research and provide legal opinions or other legal assistance as required.
- Act as counsel to the MetroPlus Board of Directors, including all sub-committees.
- Respond to subpoenas, liens, and levies.
- Handle Independent Dispute Resolution cases.
- Review non-contractual legal documents, including Powers of Attorney.
- Create, track, and manage a repository of legal documents, including complaints, litigation holds, and service records.
- Develop and maintain legal processes for the Management Services Organization.
- Act as point of contact for inquiries from attorneys on various issues and manage any associated dispute resolution.
- Proactively communicate with internal divisions to become and remain educated about key legal issues affecting these areas.
- Liaise with Health + Hospitals Office of Labor Relations and Law Department on employment litigation, real estate transactions, FOIL, and other general types of litigation.
- Serve as special counsel to the SIU.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Deputy General Counsel.
- Juris Doctor from an ABA accredited institution
- 5 - 7 years, post bar admission, experience in healthcare
- Knowledge of health insurance, managed care/government sponsored insurance products
- Active New York State Bar Admission
Preferred candidate will possess:
- Contract drafting and negotiation experience
- Excellent analytical, organization, and oral and written communication skills
- Expertise with Microsoft Office Suite needed to function in a nearly paperless environment
- Broad-based in-depth knowledge of the managed care industry
- The ability to comprehend and interpret regulatory, legislative, and contractual mandates
- Experience with managed care, Medicare, and federal and/or state regulations
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills, as well as conceptual and analytic skills are necessary in order to review and articulate corporate objectives and Federal regulations across all relevant audiences
- The utmost integrity in the discreet and confidential handling of confidential materials is necessary
- Ability to balance attention to detail with high volume of work and business timelines