Associate Executive Director of External and Government Relations
Job Ref: 77478
Department: EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATION
Location: 50 Water Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10004
Job Type: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Hire In Rate: $190,000.00
Salary Range: $190,000.00 - $210,000.00
Empower. Unite. Care.
MetroPlusHealth is committed to empowering New Yorkers by uniting communities through care. We believe that Health care is a right, not a privilege. If you have compassion and a collaborative spirit, work with us. You can come to work being proud of what you do every day.
About NYC Health + Hospitals
MetroPlusHealth provides the highest quality healthcare services to residents of Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island through a comprehensive list of products, including, but not limited to, New York State Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare, Child Health Plus, Exchange, Partnership in Care, MetroPlus Gold, Essential Plan, etc. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of NYC Health + Hospitals, the largest public health system in the United States, MetroPlusHealth's network includes over 27,000 primary care providers, specialists and participating clinics. For more than 30 years, MetroPlusHealth has been committed to building strong relationships with its members and providers to enable New Yorkers to live their healthiest life.
The Associate Executive Director of External and Government Relations will advance MetroPlusHealth’s mission by increasing its presence and prevalence in the community by partnering with key stakeholders. They will advocate on issues that affect the ability of MetroplusHealth and its affiliates to carry out their mission of providing health insurance to eligible and underserved populations and providing access to quality healthcare services. The Associate Executive Director of External and Government Relations will serve as the advisor and lead for public affairs initiative as well as strategic partnerships. The ideal candidate will be a strategic, transformative, and inclusive leader with the ability to lead a comprehensive external relations functions, form relationships, identify opportunities, and implement initiatives that further MetroPlusHealth’s goal and expand its footprint. Additionally, this role will be supporting the DED of External and Government Relations in formulating and promoting policies that support MetroPlusHealth’s vision and mission.
The Associate Executive Director of External and Government Relations will develop relationships with NYC elected and appointed officials, internal and external stakeholders to advance the mission of MetroPlusHealth Plan and our NYC Health and Hospitals affiliates. This position incumbent will analyze and propose policy and legislation, meet with elected/ appointed officials, and industry and community stakeholders about MetroPlusHealth’s priorities, and collaborate with the DED of External and Governmental Relations and MetroPlusHealth leadership staff to participate in New York City legislative hearings and health-oriented initiatives. In doing so, the Associate Executive Director of External and Government Relations will advocate on issues that affect the ability of MetroplusHealth and its affiliates to carry out their mission of providing health insurance to eligible and underserved populations, providing access to quality healthcare services.
- Serve as MetroPlusHealth’s primary liaison to elected and appointed NYC officials, community-based organizations and Unions.
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with key stakeholders, including elected officials, policy makers, industry and community leaders, relevant governmental agencies, union leaders and community partners through consistent dialogue, attendance at meetings and events, collaborating on initiatives and issues, networking, making presentations, etc. Through these relationships, expand MetroPlusHealth’s reach to new strategic partnerships and initiatives.
- Proactively identifies issues that could potentially impact the successful execution of the CEO’s executive agenda, framing/positioning ideas to resolve or mitigate problem/risk
- Work closely with H+H Intergovernmental staff to assure information and strategy with NYC entities is coordinated
- Take an active role in furthering public facing initiatives and priorities across relevant departments.
- Proactively seek ways to expand MetroPlusHealth’s engagement with traditionally underserved communities and to ensure that MetroPlusHealth is an inclusive and welcoming community for all
- Monitor New York City legislative initiatives impacting MetroPlusHealth’ s programs and services.
- Conduct regular briefings for government officials and members of the NYC Council and their staff on issues of importance to the agency.
- Work with the finance department to develop financial and program impact statements related to NYC budget issues.
- Establish and monitor metrics to measure success of new strategies and initiatives.
- Oversees large, often cross functional organization wide initiatives, bringing together multiple internal and/or external stakeholders and helping to drive decisions.
- All other tasks as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree required (Master’s Degree preferred) in Public Policy or Public Administration in communications, political science, public administration, or related field.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in state or local government, non-profit organizations, communications, political science, public administration, or related field.
- Deep familiarity with New York City local administration and its branches including personal connection to decision makers and policy influencers.
- Knowledge of New York State and New York City governance required; knowledge and experience with community, and civic organizations, and elected officials.
- Extensive experience and understanding of state, federal and local public policy, and legislative process.
- Experience formulating policies, developing strategies, and making recommendations on issues and/or legislation.
- Outstanding public speaking and engagement skills.
- Healthcare industry experience preferred.
- Legislative, policy and regulatory experience in a major New York City governmental agency or the office of a local legislator preferred.