Deputy Chief Operating Officer
Job Ref: 64367
Department: OFFICE OF THE COO
Location: 50 Water Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10004
Job Type: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Hire In Rate: $260,000.00
Salary Range: $260,000.00 - $260,000.00
About NYC Health + Hospitals
MetroPlus Health provides the highest quality healthcare services to residents of Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island through a comprehensive list of products, including, but not limited to, New York State Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare, Child Health Plus, Exchange, Partnership in Care, MetroPlus Gold, Essential Plan, etc. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of NYC Health + Hospitals, the largest public health system in the United States, MetroPlus’ network includes over 27,000 primary care providers, specialists and participating clinics. For more than 30 years, MetroPlus has been committed to building strong relationships with its members and providers to enable New Yorkers to live their healthiest life.
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, the purpose of the role is to support the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and act as delegate and deputy as required. In particular, the role holder will work across Operations and the rest of the organization to progress the design and implementation of the target operating model and operational processes ensuring that the organization’s infrastructure is aligned to the direction of MetroPlus and NYC Health & Hospital’s mission and strategy. The Deputy Chief Operating Officer (DCOO) as a member of MetroPlus’ Senior Management team and is vital in providing assistance with the oversight, management and supervision of Operations, in a matrix organizational structure including: PMO, Process Improvement, and Vendor Management and contributing to Product Development, Customer Experience, and Claims operations. This position is responsible for supporting the direction and implementation of programs and projects, and for providing and promoting problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
• Manage the operational implementation for major strategic, clinical and/or operational transformation initiatives, oversee the operating structure to ensure both efficient and costeffective contributions at every stage of the healthcare management process
• Assist with the management of the operational departments including Claims, PMO, Facilities, Product, Customer Service and Vendor Management.
• Maintain efficient daily operations by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing policies and procedures; developing, revising, and implementing workflow and productivity parameters; troubleshooting with providers, facilities, vendors and MHP staff
• Implement governance process to focus on the alignment of projects, programs, and portfolios to organizational vision, mission and strategy, along with changes in the environment
• Identify process improvement opportunities, assess potential gains, prioritize and proposeaction plans and timeline
• Assist with leading and managing change through influencing matrixed resources to achieve system-wide performance improvement initiatives
• Oversee the delivery of patient experience: ideate and design new programs and systems to improve the customer experience, create a persistent customer-first mentality across physical and digital channels
• Collaborate with the product development team in forming cutting-edge product ideas driven by customer needs, translate into executable product and technical roadmaps and implement on time and on budget
• Assist with managing contracted services to ensure compliance with all contract standards, regulations, and performance expectations
• Develop the key skill sets, capabilities and capacity to support MetroPlus' need to effectively translate strategic priorities into operations
• Regularly and systematically evaluate the results of overall operations and report results to the COO
• Provide coverage for the COO in his/her absences to ensure consistent operations
• Experience of leading and managing a multi-disciplinary team
• Experience of leading and implementing strategy and business plans
• Demonstrable vendor management and contract experience
• P&L accountability
• Problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure
• Ability to simultaneously work on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, characterized by the ability to clearly articulate complex concepts. Comfortable delivering and presenting to client senior executives and stakeholders
• Knowledge of management principles and practices, including process and quality improvement methods.
• Broad and deep knowledge of managed care operations, the interconnectivity of diverse and complex functions, managed care information systems and related technologies.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience overseeing a diverse array of managed care productlines of business, managed care claims processing and call center operations,
• Experience and knowledge in the use of Project Management tools to improve and expand the offerings and services provided by MetroPlus Health Plan,
• Experience and knowledge related to customer experience and service,
• Comprehensive understanding of the principles and practices of managing information systems and services, and a thorough understanding of how operating areas and information services work together to improve current and future results.
• Strong qualitative, quantitative and analytical skills, demonstrated by ability to identify and use information and data to set goals and priorities, make decisions and measure performance, while considering competing priorities and other perspectives within and outside the organization.
• Creativity and resourcefulness demonstrated by ability to
a) conceptualize and implement new policies, programs and procedures;
b) set priorities for self and others; and c) achieve maximum functioning with available resources.
• Ability to balance day-to-day operational issues and needs with corporate issues and needs.
• Good judgment in
a) seeking and using information to support decision-making;
b) anticipating the consequences of decisions and actions;
c) communicating information;
d) interacting constructively with others both within and outside the organization;
e) maintaining confidentiality, as appropriate; and
f) choosing actions that are beneficial to, and consistent with, the mission, goals, culture and style of the organization.
• Ability to take initiative, think independently, and contribute constructively to strategic planning, priority setting and decision-making.
• Must demonstrate a high degree of integrity, trustworthiness, respect for others, and ability to deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information.
• Must demonstrate understanding and acceptance of the MetroPlus mission, vision and values.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in an appropriate discipline required.
• Minimum of five (5) years of management of healthcare experience within a health plan.
• Minimum of seven (7) years of health plan experience in the successful delivery of modernization and O&M projects, and with organizing, directing, and managing contract
operation support functions involving multiple, complex, and interrelated project tasks
• Seven (7) years of demonstrated expertise in quality improvement methodologies.
• Experience managing matrixes / virtual teams to deliver services.
• Experience managing project teams
• Strong background in IT
• Strategic thinking
• Results driven
• Business acumen
• Systems orientation
• Process improvement
• Data driven decision making
• Financial management
• Integrity & trust
• Customer focus
• Written/Oral Communication
• Flexible and able to multi task
• Able to work in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities