Deputy General Counsel
Job Ref: 54976
Department: EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATION
Location: 160 Water St. #3, New York, NY
Job Type: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Hire In Rate: $200,000.00
Salary Range: $200,000.00 - $235,000.00
MetroPlus Health Plan provides the highest quality healthcare services to residents of Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island through a comprehensive list of products, including, but not limited to, New York State Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare, Child Health Plus, Exchange, Partnership in Care, MetroPlus Gold, Essential Plan, etc. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of NYC Health + Hospitals, the largest public health system in the United States, MetroPlus’ network includes over 27,000 primary care providers, specialists and participating clinics. For more than 30 years, MetroPlus has been committed to building strong relationships with its members and providers to enable New Yorkers to live their healthiest life.
The Deputy General Counsel (DGC) is responsible for serving as MetroPlus In-House Counsel and is involved in advising on complex business transactions, negotiating critical contracts, and managing investigation of claims and litigation. The DGC, under the oversight of the NYC Health + Hospitals’ (H+H) General Counsel, provides senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel.
The DGC provides guidance to the corporation on contractual/legal matters. Legal matters include: 1) legal management of all major business and strategic transactions; 2) contract review and administration, including both provider and vendor contracts/procurement; 4) legal review of the organization’s financing arrangements; 5) participation in review of real estate transactions, including leases; 6) legal oversight of investigations, both internal and external; 7) litigation.
- Serve as in-house counsel for the Plan, overseeing day-to-day operations of the MetroPlus Legal division
- Supervise attorney and, as relevant, non-attorney staff in the MetroPlus Legal Division.
- Manage Plan’s contracting process including advising on the contract process to assure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements, organization's contractual guidelines, satisfaction of customer specifications, and adherence to organization policy as well as providing guidance on the implementation and ongoing development of the Contract Management System.
- Serve as attorney liaison between the organization and customers/vendors, including participation in pre-contract discussions, contract negotiations and contract changes, in conjunction with the MetroPlus Procurement department.
- Draft, review, and negotiate agreements (provider agreements, vendor agreements, requests for proposals, statements of work, etc.).
- Serve as counsel for MetroPlus Board of Directors; advise on corporate governance matters.
- Handle or coordinate resolution of legal and corporate matters by providing legal guidance or other legal assistance, as required, including as relates to issues and investigations (both internal and external) involving compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Coordinate litigation-related activities with H+H Office of Legal Affairs and outside counsel.
- Assist MetroPlus Human Resources and H+H in responding to EEO filings and other personnel-related legal matters.
- Proactively communicate with internal divisions to become and remain educated about key legal issues affecting these areas. Be prepared to effectively represent these issues and potential solutions.
- Coach and mentor, as needed, staff and team members engaged in the development, drafting, negotiating, and modifying of contracts and agreements.
- Juris Doctor from an ABA accredited institution
- Minimum 10 years of experience as an attorney working in or with health care-related organization.
Preferred candidate will possess:
- Experience working with or for Managed Care plan/organization
- Experience with negotiating/drafting Managed Care Value-Based provider contracts
- Knowledge of tax-exempt laws, and general non-for-profit corporate and governance matters. Experience with NY State law preferred.
- Knowledge of corporate transaction and contracting processes, including drafting, reviewing, revising and negotiating complex agreements
- Knowledge of Medicaid, Medicare, and Affordable Care Act
- Excellent analytical, organization, and oral and written communication skills
Licensure and/or Certification
- License to Practice Law
- Active NYS Bar Admission
- High-level of skill in leading interdepartmental and cross-functional strategy development; experience managing professional staff on multiple projects to ensure corporate deadlines and objectives are met. Simultaneously manage multiple projects
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills, as well as conceptual and analytic skills are necessary in order to review and articulate corporate objectives and Federal regulations across all relevant audiences
- The utmost integrity in the discreet and confidential handling of confidential materials is necessary